Monday, January 7, 2013

How much money should you spend on a bra?

Welcome back to Butterfly Collection's blog. Mr Butterfly and I had a fantastic holiday, I hope you did too. I had a chance to recharge my bra brain and plan some new products, tools and blogs for you lovely busty ladies. Some highlights of my break were a Stilton cheese the size of my head, crackers filled with tea, baking my first ham and buying blue boots!
Having spent a few pennies over Christmas I had to get back to my budget for the clothes and shoes I know I'll need this year (sometimes need means want if I'm honest!) I have a few rules of thumb that I use for how much I'll spend on lingerie and this helps me figure out my lingerie budget for the year.


Everyday Bras Budget: To get the longest life out of everyday bras they should be worn once every three days maximum. This gives the elastic time to recover between wears. If you wear a bra once every three days it should last about eight months (longer if you're wearing it less often and caring for it correctly) which is 80 wears. I average between $0.80 and $1 per wear so I'm willing to pay between $64 and $80 for an everyday bra.
Solution Bras Budget: Strapless and Multiway bras are essential for some outfits but I don't wear them regularly. I want these bras to do a great job when they're on but I expect them to last at least two years. I average two wears per month because I wear my strapless bras more often in the summer than I do in the winter. That's 48 wears over two years and I'm happy to pay $1.50 per wear because being a comfortable and strapless 32GG is worth the investment! This means I'm willing to pay around $70 for a solution bra.

Sports Bras Budget: I wouldn't run in cheap heels so I don't run in a cheap plunge bra. A sports bra should work in ways that regular bras simply can't - disperse impact, reduce bounce and wick away sweat. I know the damage that can be caused by wearing improper support so I think sports bras are worth up to $1.50 per wear.

I average that I'll use a sports bra twice a week (if you're more active you need more than one sports bra so that they have time to recover between wears). I expect a sports bra to last at least eight months (preferably 12 if I look after it correctly) so in eight months that's 64 wears at $1.50 per wear means I'm willing to spend up to $96 for a sports bra.     

Happy Bras (AKA Pretty/Must Have It/Luxury Bras): I don't think these bras are optional as they make me happy, I keep them for quite a while and life's too short not to wear beautiful things! I buy at least two seasonal bras every season in pretty colours or patterns that inspire me for the time of year. I'll wear them on and off for at least a year but probably more intensively at the beginning.
I buy one or two pieces of luxury lingerie (these are rarely bras as I find it almost impossible to find luxury lines in a 32GG) and I may only wear them 6 times a year so I expect them to last years if not forever!

I budget for 10 bras a year that I don't rely on for my daily support or activities but that make me happy, excited about being busty and inspire me to dress up. For this I budget $75 per item and this is simply based on what it's worth to me to have these options. That's $750 per year.

Sales Budget: I expect to buy some of these bras in the sale and average savings of about 20% over the year. I buy my everyday bras as and when I need them because I refuse to struggle and make do; my breasts and sanity are worth more. But for some of my Happy Bras I'll wait for sales (like the huge End of Year Sale at Butterfly Collection that ends on Thursday!)

I hope some of these lingerie equations help you figure out what your bra life is like and how much you can realistically budget each month to keep your boobs happy and supported in 2013. xx

UPDATE: I should clarify that this is how I work out my bra budget but your own can be worked out using similar ideas. You NEED 3-4 everyday bras to get you through a year plus 1-2 sports bras if you are active. That's a basic wardrobe which costs between $200 and $300 per year (around $20-25 a month) Figuring out what kids of bras you need and then which bras you would like to have gives you the basis for your budget xx

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I never know how much is an appropriate amount to pay, so I end up cheaping out and buying bras of extremely poor quality, when I should have splurged a bit more and bought one that would have lasted four times longer! I can't wait until I'm not living on a grad student budget anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bra budget has to fit your life. When I was a student I used to budget for 4 bras a year plus one sports bra. I always waited for the sales and never paid more than $40 so my annual bra budget was $200 which is less than $20 a month. However, I used to ask for lingerie gift certificates so that I could splurge a bit at my birthday and buy something pretty!! One day you'll have your qualifications and a bigger bra budget - WIN WIN!! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm not a student anymore and have a fulltime job with decent salary but mere thought of spending that much in bras only gives me cold shivers :/ No poor bulk bras anymore, but 3-4 pieces of good quality (sports bras included) in a year makes me happy. I simply can't see or feel my bras getting worn out in just eight months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bra budget is not typical, that's for sure! But bearing in mind this is my work as well as my joy it accounts for part of my leisure time spend too (I don't own a car, or a phone or have a gym membership etc) Some of my clients can wear out a bra in six months because they wear it too often or dry it in the dryer - both of which kill bras fast. On average, an everyday bra should be giving you great support for at least 8 months, so that's the average I use. Your 3-4 bras a year is perfect and means you'll always have support xx

      Delete
  3. This was a really interesting read for me! I know all of us will have different bra budgets, and it's helpful to see yours. Budgeting out a specific amount for bras in particular (rather than just lumping them together with a clothing budget) seems like a useful idea.

    Also - they have holiday crackers with tea in them?? Why have I never heard of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was interesting. It's just helpful for me to have a rough guide. I don't hold myself to this budget (I usually end up spending less) but it helps me figure out how much I can expect to spend throughout the year.

      Crackers with tea in them made me SO happy! xx

      Delete
  4. Those boots are adorable! What brand are they/where did you get them? I'm from Vancouver too btw:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're Miz Mooz boots. I got them from a little shoe shop in Oakridge Mall xx

      Delete
  5. I also found this interesting. My bra budget has been all over the place since I started my journey because of how many I've returned or sold that didn't fit. That certainly adds to costs when you have to order abroad for everything!

    Now with as quickly as my size is changing during pregnancy I'm doing good to have 1-2 that actually fit at a time. Plus, with shipping times I've learned to order up a size too because otherwise I run into lots of shipping costs and find that I grow out of bras too quickly (and waiting again for another shipment takes forever!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up such a good point June. When your life (and boobs) are in flux it's so difficult to plan for the changes in size. Add to that the challenges of living somewhere without affordable options and it's almost impossible to budget. I hope that you find some options that work for you, but more importantly I hope you're feeling great! xx

      Delete
  6. Excited to come across your blog, however hubby is not to keen LOL.
    I never really considered a yearly budget for my bra and undies. I would go about wearing them to death to us fall apart. Years ago in my early 20's I would go out and spend $300-$400 a year on them. So maybe it's time to get organised. It is nice to have a selection of new bra's, even though my body is going through changes, pregnancy and weight-loss.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find the posts useful Jes! You don't need a lot of bras, but what you have should fit you really well. Hope you and baby are doing well and you have fun getting back into great bras xx

      Delete
  7. Do you have a recommendation as to where to buy nice bras?
    I am wide around my ribcage but only have a c-cup.
    I feel that when I try to find something nice the sales clerk just shows me boring and plain bras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of places to get great C cup bras (we only sell D-K cups I'm afraid) depending on your band size. If you want help figuring out your best band size (which might affect your cup size) then you can use our free size consultation tool xx

      Delete