Monday, February 3, 2014

Bra Fit Tips for Side Heavy Breasts


A huge number of women find that their breasts are heaviest and fullest at the side of their breasts (the side nearest your armpit). This is a completely normal distribution of breast tissue that women of all breasts sizes experience. For women with large breasts this side heavy breast tissue can cause a couple of bra fit issues:

1) The breasts can look very spread out and chafe against your arms.
2) You can find that you get empty cup near the center of your bra.

Why Your Breasts Spread Out in Bras
You may think that big boobs always look spread out and this is due in part to some bad fitting techniques. Lots of stores and boutiques default to putting large busted women into Minimizing Bras which spread out the bust. The shape of these bras moves the tissue even further under the armpit to lessen the forward projection of the bust. This might sound like it will make you look smaller but in fact the added width to your upper body can draw more attention to your bust and make it look bigger than it is.

Side heavy breasts don't need to be pushed farther apart, in fact they benefit from being firmly supported at the sides.  A tall and firm side panel in a bra will narrow the profile of your bust and stop your breasts spreading out which can cause excessive chafing against your arms as you walk.

Bras that spread out the breasts can cause the empty tissue near the center of your bra. With the majority of the weight being pushed sideways it skews the shape of the cup so that you end up with cup that has no breast tissue in it. 

What to Avoid and What to Look For
Avoid bras with a horizontal seam that goes right from the outer edge of the bra to the center gore. This kind of shape is great for full or wide breasts but doesn't offer enough support to side heavy breasts. Molded cups (bras without seams) can also cause your breasts to spread out. Remember, it's seams that give shape to a bra. Molded cups have lots of uses but if you're trying to stop your breasts spreading out you need the help of seams.

Look for bras with a tall side panel that runs directly down from the strap. This reinforcing panel scoops the breast tissue away from the sides and cushions the tissue. By bringing the side breast tissue closer in on the body you will most likely find that you don't get empty cup at the center. This is because the distribution of breast tissue is being spread out more evenly throughout the cup. If you have very soft breast tissue you can still get gaping at the center. To stop this look for bras with a wide, tall gore and/or a bra with a stretch fabric upper cup.

Here are some of our favourite bras for supporting side heavy breasts:

Gem by Freya has a supportive side panel and is shaped well for women with short torsos and/or narrow shoulders

Jasmine by Panache Superbra is a 4-part bra that has a side panel dedicated to moving breast tissue away from the armpit. This bra is also good for soft breasts as it has a stretch lace upper cup

Envy by Panache Superbra is based on the success of Jasmine. The tall side panel gives firm support. The stretch lace upper cup rounds the shape of the bust.

Lucy by Cleo is one of our best-sellers for supporting side heavy breasts. The rounded side seam gives a beautiful shape.
If you have any questions about fit for side heavy breasts then let us know in the comments section and we'll be happy to help you figure out your best fit. xx

21 comments:

  1. Fantasie have side support and are also good for this issue. I'm glad to see you will be carrying them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so looking forward to growing our collection of Fantasie bras this year. The new ongoing style, Lois, has great support for side heavy busts too xx

      Delete
  2. Great article! I too have side heavy breasts and often feel like I'm the only one! ;) Good to know that others out there experience it too and that it's more common that I thought. Even better, that there are bras that can still work well with side heavy breasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an incredibly common distribution of tissue which is why there are lots of bras that work really well with side heavy breasts. I'm glad you liked the article! xx

      Delete
  3. Wonderful article, I too thought that I was the only one! It is amazing what that side panel can do for your shape.. before I looked very wide and flat, with the right bra I look more upfront and fuller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic is almost entirely in that side panel! Once your bust is supported at the sides its the shape of the seams and the angle of the other panels that determine the overall cup shape of the bra so there are still lots of choices of shape xx

      Delete
  4. What are your suggestions for center heavy breasts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lazor, that is a whole other post that will be coming up. However, in summary a tall center gore and a horizontal seam will distribute the tissue away from the center of the cup. xx

      Delete
  5. I always thought that I'm more side full, but I have no problems with strategically placed horizontal seams of my Mimi Holliday Super Plunges, but I'm also wide and not very large (I'm 32E and sometimes 32DD and 30F), may be this is the reason why they work for me. And with 3-part and 4-part cup constructions I always have either uppercup gaping or gaping in the center + quadraboob). And vertical seams are totally superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have some fullness at the top of your breasts and a wider set bust which can cause the gaping +spilling (which sound like they should never go together but they do!) A side supportive plunge is ideal for your tissue distribution. As you are at the smaller end of a full bust scale you have more flexibility in the seaming. Over a 32G you start to rely more heavily on the side panel as the weight increases. xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advise!
      I don't need wide center gore (this is for sure!), but I think I can be called wide set because distance between the apexes are larger than average. I don't actually know how much tissue I actually have on top, because I don't have a distinct line between slightly overdeveloped pectorals and breast tissue. But yeah, side supportive plunges with vertical seams and wide wires are good on me (but not easy to find), as well as these bras which are like a middle ground between plunges and demi-cups.
      PS and spilling + gaping... I had so much of that that I sometimes forget that some people can't believe it's so totally possible.

      Delete
  6. Great article- until I got to the part about molded cups not working for side heavy breasts! Essential Bodywear has a molded cup bra called the Abbie that gives wonderful side support without seams for a very smooth uplifted look in sizes 32A-44H, and we come to you and fit you right in your own home! Support small business and get to know a Bra Lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While some women will find adequate side support from a molded cup (Maxine from Fitfully yours is particularly good) I still think that it works for fewer women with side heavy breasts than a seamed bra with side panel. Most molded cups (including the one you mention from your venture) only go up to a US H cup (UK G cup) which leaves women with the heaviest side breast tissue (28+ GG, H, HH, J, JJ, K+) without a molded solution and I'm not sure the mold would be able to shape this kind of weight as well as a seam. The only molded cups over a US H cup (that I'm aware of) employ a side seam (Daily Boost for example from Curvy Kate) because the side weight is proportionally so much heavier.

      Delete
  7. I always thought that I needed a push-up bra to move the tissue away from the sides. But, then, I get spillage. Perhaps I have been mistaken.
    Seriously - does ANYONE like bra shopping? If I could just find a style and size that I like, I would buy one in every colour. I've filled in a bra-consult and have my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you find the right style + size for your breasts then bra shopping can be fun, it's just working out those first two that can be tricky by yourself. Push up bras don't work for every breast shape. A side panel will bring your breasts in from the sides then a medium to tall gore will support your breasts at the centre. All that's left then is the shape of the cup between the gore and the side panel which is totally personal preference. You might find that you've been trying on the wrong size (most women are wearing a band that is too big for them) which will also skew the affect of a bra no matter what style it is. Emailing our support team support@butterflycollection.ca can help answer specific questions you have about your fit. xx

      Delete
  8. My breasts are side heavy and shallow. The breast shape is deformed by wearing the wrong bra size for a few years. I have Simone Pérèle Andora 3d Molded 65F (65F digs into my breast bone, 65E has small cups, the wires are a little narrow, the band is too loose), Chantelle C Chic Sexy spacer 65E (the cups are a little too small, it flats my breasts). The both bras look well but they are uncomfortable. It seems my attempts to find the suitable molded bra are not successful. I'd like to try Fantasie Rebecca. Are the bras with seams the only option for my breasts? Or some spacer bras may work for this breast shape in little sizes? I usually wear thin stretchy tops because my shoulders are wide for my skinny ribcage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jana, It is very important to try more brands because it sounds like you need to find the wire width and length that works for you. The 65F sounds like your best starting point so look at Freya Deco and Fantasie Rebecca for molded cups. Seamed bras may fit you better but don't give up on smooth cups until you've tried more brands. It may be that only one or two brands fit you but at least then you'll know and you can start to build your collection xx

      Delete
  9. Hi! This was an amazing read! I have dense, soft mommy breasts, close set, and full on top. I am short so I prefer plunges as I high centre gores are uncomfortable for me. I am looking for bras that don't have too much coverage, that separate breasts, low centre gore and that lift and give a rounded shape to the boobs. The only bra that has done most of this for me is the Panache Tango Plunge II. It does have a downward slope though. I'd love to hear your recommendation for bras that do all or most of the above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably want to check out Freya's plunge bras because the overall frame is shorter than Panache so could be more proportional for you. The Deco range and some of their soft cup plunges are well worth exploring xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I do wear the plunge balconies like Freya Monet, but they give a very pointy shape to my boobs. I am testing out the new Curvy Kate plunges, hopefully some should work. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  10. This is a good post. However, the problem with most of these bras is that they have seams that can be felt inside the cup, which is a huge problem for thoe of us us with sensitive skin, as that causes rashes. For this reason, I've mostly been wearing T-Shirt bras, but they don't give enough side support. Is there no hope for me?
    (My current best fit is Curvy Kate Daily Boost Balcony in 32GG)

    ReplyDelete