Monday, July 15, 2013

Bra Fit: Which Gore is Right For You?



Continuing our series about the finer points of bra fit, this week I'm explaining how different gores affect bra fit. The gore on a bra is the part between the cups that sits between your breasts. This little bit of fabric can be the best and sometimes the worst thing about a bra! The most common complaint about gores is that they dig into the breast bone which can be very painful. I'm going to explain what your gore does and how to choose ones that are right for you.

How Should a Gore Fit?
On wired bras the gore should lie flat against your body. Non-wired bra gores won't lie completely flat against your body because there's no wire to bring the cup back around your breast towards your body. It's rare but some women find that no matter what they try the gore never lies flat. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) Their breasts are so close together that the gore always gets twisted
2) Their ribcage or breast bone is curved in a way that prevents the gore from lying flat

If your gore doesn't lie flat then you most probably need a smaller band. If your cups fit you but your gore doesn't lie flat then you should try one band size smaller and one cup letter larger (this will ensure you don't lose any cup volume).

The center panel comes up high on sports bras (like the Panache Sports) to minimize vertical bounce

What is the Gore For?
The gore's job is twofold. It contributes to the shape the bra gives you and most importantly it's a key part of support.

Shape - If the gore is narrow then the cups will sit closer together making the shape better for close-set breasts and forward projection. If the gore is wide then the cups sit farther apart and make the shape better for wide-set breasts.

Support - The depth of the gore changes how much vertical bounce a bra will reduce. A deep gore will generally give you less vertical bounce. This is why sports bras come so high up so that the vertical bounce is almost eliminated when exercising.

A low, wide gore (like this one on Idina) is great for wide-set and average set breasts that are side heavy.

Gores for Wide-Set Breasts
If your breasts are heaviest at the sides and spaced quite far apart with very little full breast tissue in the middle then you'll want to look for wide to medium width gores that are short to medium height. A tall gore can give you too much cup at the center which your breasts can't fill. The shorter gore will still give you enough support as you don't have heavy breast tissue at the center that needs support.

Dessous Peony with Limeade is a great medium gore style for side heavy breasts

Look for bras with high side panels that will give you the support where you need it, like the Dessous range from Claudette above.

Gores for Average-Set Breasts
If your breasts are full all round and set averagely close together (you can get 1 to 3 fingers between your breasts) then you need extra support at the front/center of your bust. This is especially important for women over a G cup as the increased projection away from the body needs vertical as well as horizontal support. 
A medium/tall gore like Jasmine is great for average set breasts (both rounded and shallow) that need forward support
Look for medium to tall gores. If you are shallow through the top of your breasts look for styles with stretchy upper cups that will give you a smooth fit.

Gores for Close-Set Breasts
If your breasts are very close together then gores can be a real pain! Some styles will have gores that are narrow enough for fit between your breasts (lots of my clients like Melissa, Bella and Meg) but a lot won't be. Very short gores (most usually plunge styles) can be a much more comfortable fit. The gore sits flat against the body just below where the breasts meet.

A short gore style like Tango Plunge can be excellent for close-set full breasts as the cups offer full support
If you have full all round breasts then look for cups that rise vertically from the gore rather than cutting acutely across. If your breasts are shallow through the top then you can look for plunge styles with cups that come out more acutely from the gore as you need less cup coverage.

How to Adjust the Gore
If you find a bra that you love but need to alter the gore then there are a few things you can do.

If the gore presses too hard into your breast bone then you can physically bend the wires away from your body. You'll need to apply quite a bit of pressure so it's important to do this while NOT wearing the bra so that you don't tear the material. If you haven't tried styles with a lower gore then I suggest you try them as taller gores might simply be incompatible with your breast bone shape.

If the gore is too wide you can make it narrower by following these steps.

If the gore is too tall you may be able to shorten it by pushing the wires down away from the top of the gore then removing the excess material at the top. Be aware that this will also affect the angle of the cup so this is not a minor alteration.

I hope this helps you figure out which gore shape is right for you so that you can have a comfortable and supportive fit. Let me know in the comments if you have a gore question xx

17 comments:

  1. I love that you're talking about this. My breasts have no space between them, so I need that lack of acute cut-across, except that the acute is exactly the thing I need for my tall shallow breasts (and they're close-set all the way up); all the styles recommended for people with close-set breasts cut across the top of my breasts. My needs are inherently contradictory, and I've been wondering since puberty why no bra fits. My current solution is to buy a normal plunge in my size and sew on a strip of stretch lace at the top of each cup to get the right amount of coverage. It takes 4-5 hours per bra, but I haven't come up with anything better yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your situation and inventive solution Jan. We can forget that there are some women for whom there are no off the shelf bra styles they can wear and tailoring becomes par for the course. I wonder if you have tried Ewa Michalak (a Polish designer) or read some recommendations from Curvy Wordy as her breasts are a similar composition. xx

      Delete
    2. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing after I just got two bras with low center gores and they cut into my breast tissue at the top. Cept I have no idea how to set stretch lace and don't have 5 hours. Got some Ewa Michalak in the mail though.

      Delete
  2. what if the gore isn't wide enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Looking for bras with a wide gore is your starting point but if you need much wider gores a good tailor will be able to extend your gore (obviously not necessarily in the same material). With wide set breasts style is very important. Look for teardrop shaped cups that have less material at the centre. xx

      Delete
  3. Great article, since I have a close, high set shallow breast. Gores can be quite painful and even leave marks (I have an awful experience with lucy by cleo, looked great gore was unbearable).
    I'm a great fan of Dessous and Idina, even if they fit me like a medium tall gore. I own 2, 32 G Desouss, those have a pretty relaxed band so this is not a problem, and in Idina I wear a 34 G. I recently found the tango plunge, it looks great on screen, but how's the band? I'm a 33 at ribcage should I go for the 32 G or the 34 FF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the article Sonia. I would go for the 32 in Tango plunge as the band is medium firm. You are so right to go for short gores that will fit you like medium gores. This is a style we'd like to add more of - shorter gores will firm support cups. Best of luck! xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks! trying bras can be kind of tricky! but I do try to get as much information about the fit before buying.

      Delete
  4. Ok, question, I have tried several bras and they initially seem to fit great, however after I wear them for a while the top rim of the cup that goes diagonally toward the gore curls forward and then I have lines that show through my shirts, my bra just does not seem to lie flat against me. I initially thought it was my posture, now I am wondering if the cup size is too big. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely sounds like that cup is too big for you OR your wire is too wide. If the wire is too wide then the top edge of the cup will roll forward as your body presses against the width of the wires which buckles the cups. It's worth trying a smaller cup and if that doesn't work then look for brands with narrower wires than your current styles xx

      Delete
  5. I'm struggling every bra i try I can't get a gore to lie 100% flat, they all sit a couple of mm from my skin. Why is this? I have tried different band sizes and cup sizes and I can't get it to fit properly. Any advice would be welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of milimeters of gap between your sternum and bra is not a terrible fit but if you feel it could be better then you probably need to look for bras with narrow gores. It could be that the bras you're trying on have gores that are too wide to fit between your breasts and that causes the gap. Finding the right band and cup combination is your key first step though. If you find a cup volume that fits you exactly then you can email our support team (support@butterflycollection.ca) with the size and your ribcage measurement so they can give you the sister sizes to try. xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this post I have been struggling finding bras with average to wide gores. The Dessous those styles seem to be for side and bottom heavy breasts. I am the opposite do they have a style for Full on Top and side heavy breasts?
    Or can you recommend more styles and brands? I will look into the one above also.
    I am Full on Top, side heavy, and I need bras with projection.
    After many trails and errors I finally found 2 bras that fit good Curvy Kate Smoothie and Princess styles. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Average to wide gores with full on top, forward projection are definitely harder to find. I don't know Curvy Kate bras well but it sounds like as a brand they have this gore/cup combination available. Cleo won't have styles in this combination, Freya's Gem could work but the gore may still be too narrow. Sorry I don't have an answer at hand, if anyone else has suggestions they can comment here. I'll come back to you if I come across a style that will work for you xx

      Delete
  7. when wearing a balconette bra my gore digs into my chest but it is not from the band being too small. I wear a 30f and the upper part of the gore digs into my chest (leaving a nasty scar) while the bottom part of the gore (i guess?) does not lie flat and is semi lifted. my underbust measurement is around 27inches and over bust is around 36inches (lost my measuring tape somewhere a month or so ago). i do have a demi cup bra by change lingerie which is in the size 30g (US) and the sides of the cup sometimes digs into my armpit. I'm not sure if it is because my chest is not large enough or if it is because of my petite frame 5ft tall. can someone please help me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. when wearing a balconette bra my gore digs into my chest but it is not from the band being too small. I wear a 30f and the upper part of the gore digs into my chest (leaving a nasty scar) while the bottom part of the gore (i guess?) does not lie flat and is semi lifted. my underbust measurement is around 27inches and over bust is around 36inches (lost my measuring tape somewhere a month or so ago). i do have a demi cup bra by change lingerie which is in the size 30g (US) and the sides of the cup sometimes digs into my armpit. I'm not sure if it is because my chest is not large enough or if it is because of my petite frame 5ft tall. can someone please help me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm arriving very late to this party, but I have a question on possible styles to try. I have very close set breast, less than a finger width. But I am also very full in the top portion of my breast, so wearing anything less than a full cup is incredibly uncomfortable. The best bra I have found so far is the Freya Deco, but it does not provide any support for my full upper breast and the gore, which lies almost completely flat, is terrible and digs in to the tissue on both breasts. I have tried the Wacoal Basic Beauty Tshirt bra in 34F, and it is incredibly comfortable. I love it, but the center gore does not lie flat at all. The wire does, however, lie flat under my breasts. Just the very top of the gore pulls away. Should I ignore the center gore because everything else fits so well? Do you have any other brand recommendations?

    ReplyDelete