Thursday, March 1, 2012

World Book Day - Must-have Boob Books

In many countries today is World Book Day which celebrates reading and brings awareness to issues around publishing. It got me thinking about all the fantastic books I rely on for bra and breast knowledge. Of course there is lots of information on the internet but there's something extra personal and beautiful about holding a book chock full of gorgeous images. Here are some of my favourites:


Hoorah for the Bra! by Cheree Berry
This is one of my absolute favourites not least because it's a pop up book! The information is good but the visual representations of bras through the decades are brilliant! The hook and eye closure is a nice touch too.

Not enough adult books have pop-up elements!
The Bra Book by Jene Luciani
This is my bible. There is so much useful and insightful information in this book. Everything from how bras are made to how to put one on correctly. It's beautifully laid out and easy to read. I'm a big fan of anything that demystifies the thick layer of 'confusion' around bras.

You can tell from the well worn bookmarks how much I read this book
1000 Dessous by Giles Neret
I use this book for inspiration and it's especially useful for putting into context the way our figures have been shaped by fashion, social convention and economics. It is page after page of images of women in lingerie from the conventional to the erotic, it really shows the diversity of lingerie.


Bra: A Thousand Years of Style, Support and Seduction by Stephanie Pedersen
This is an unassuming little book. It looks like it will be a cursory look at bras but it's actually an indepth look at the journey of the bra from two handkerchiefs and ribbon to deep plunge foam filled boosters!

Any book on the history of the bra will have Madge's cones in there somewhere!
Books I'd like to Own
There are a few books I don't have right now but that I'm keen to read. Elisabeth Dale from The Breast Life has authored a book that includes a collection of her mammoirs (personal breast stories like the one she wrote for Butterfly Collection). Elisabeth is passionate about breast health and happiness and someone I look to about issues around breast cancer education and breast-feeding rights and tips.


After recently seeing the film Pink Ribbons Inc I am very keen to read the book from which the documentary was developed. I've read sections from it but I really need to get hold of Pink Ribbons Inc: Breast Cancer and the Politics of Philanthropy by Samantha King

Samantha King's passion and determination make a complex issue very accessible

Do you have some Must-have Boob Books that I should know about (p.s. I don't need to know any more about Madonna's conical bra thanks!) xx

16 comments:

  1. I've never read a bra/boob book before, but now I'm very interested in checking some (or all!) of these out! They'd make great coffee table books/conversation starters too, I'm sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fabulous coffee table pieces. Maybe don't put out the pop-up bra book when you've got the vicar round for tea though ;) xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, you just made my list for my birthday!! How cool! I'd love to learn more about the construction and sewing of bras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of books about the actual construction of a bra. My friend swears by the no-nonsense approach in this book xx

      http://www.amazon.ca/Bra-makers-Manual-1-Beverly-Johnson/dp/B006NEAQEW/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330632514&sr=1-2

      Delete
    2. Wow, thank you! I just need to find somewhere that will ship to the US or a US vender. You are amazing! :)

      Delete
    3. Awwww, thanks! Check out Amazon.com all of these should be available through them. Enjoy your birthday list!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention! Here are a few more boob books you may want to check out: http://www.thebreastlife.com/store/books-and-dvds.html Who knew there was so much to say/learn about breasts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books and yet so many women still don't understand their boobs and bras. There's still a piece missing I guess, we'll get there though! xx

      Delete
  4. I have a book you missed !!
    http://www.lulu.com/content/11755494

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard lots about this book. Since the research about lymph node obstruction and sweat duct obstruction has been disproved though I guess there needs to be a revised edition.

      Delete
  5. I have a book called "Stacked, a 32DDD Reports From The Front" but as you may be able to tell from the title, the author is a bit deluded about her size. In one chapter she actually goes to get properly fitted and they put her in a 32GG or something, yet she didn't put that size in the title and continues to refer to herself as a 32DDD. She never figures out that band size is relative to cup size or that sizes above DD are not that big. Really, a missed opportunity. A good half of the book is her interviewing strippers and topless models to try to figure out why our culture is interested in big boobs, a question she never really finds an answer for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really made me giggle! Half a book about boobs where the author doesn't know her size then asks a social question and doesn't really work out the answer - what a book review! xx

      Delete
  6. I did not know such books existed, how fun. I love the retro look of the first one. I will have a look for a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone put a lot of thought into the fun and facts in the pop up book :) xx

      Delete
  7. You should also add Busted! by Ali Cudby to your bra book bonanza. It's a short, accessible read to holistic and proper fitting.

    Her site is here http://www.fabfoundations.com/ and the book is available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Busted-FabFoundations-Guide-Flatter-Fantastic/dp/1936984040

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh of course, can't believe I forgot Ali's book. Thanks for adding the link Kim! xx

      Delete