Monday, June 23, 2014

I'm Busty And I Know It


Today I'm handing you over to one of our guest bloggers who, like thousands of women, has shallow breasts. Fitting shallow breasts is challenging and as Justina explains, the public perception of this 'type of full bust' can be infuriating.

My measurements are 30” under bust and 39” across the fullest part of my bust, and I usually wear a UK 30FF (sometimes 30G or 32F). Because I am somewhat shallow busted I’ve been called a liar when disclosing my bra size. Ladies let me tell you, I’m full busted and I know it. There’s nothing unreal about my measurements, or yours, just because they don’t “fit” what someone else thinks a full bust should look like.

A friend once laughed in my face in the middle of a mall when I told her my bra size; “You’re smaller than I am, and I’m only a C cup,” she said. When I tried to explain she might have been improperly fitted or her band size might be different, she laughed harder. Reactions like this used to really bother me. The general perceptions about big boob sizes and shapes are way off reality and it's important that you don't listen to the general ignorance about your boobs.

The Curse and Blessing of Shallow, Wide Breasts
I have soft, bottom heavy breasts with slight tissue migration. My shape can be a blessing and a curse. On the upside, I can wear a well fitted plunge bra because my tissue doesn't spill into the center when unsupported. On the downside, if I don’t pull all my tissue forward from the sides I spill out under my arms and my fullness vanishes. This anatomical layout has led to some unfortunate fittings because not every fitter understand the needs of a wide, shallow bust.

When I first began to learn about my true bra size I decided to go shopping. A cheerful department store saleswoman greeted me and I told her the size range I wanted. She eyed me dubiously and told me she needed to fit me first. She took me to a fitting room and asked me to take off my shirt. After observing me she smiled and went to grab what she “knew would fit.” With stilled breath I began to put on the bra she brought me. I went to bend over to adjust myself into place, which is a must for me, when she asked what I was doing. When I told her she said, “Don’t do that. Stand up.” I obliged and looked in the mirror at filled cups and the tissue that spilled out under my arms. I told her I needed a bigger cup size and she laughed. I left the store.

"The best thing we can do is educate ourselves about our bodies and our unique breasts."

Trust Your Knowledge
Sadly most fitters know little to nothing about what true fit looks like, couple that with a shallow projection and it’s difficult for me to be fitted correctly. As I educated myself about breast shapes and bra styles I learned to find stores with the size I thought I needed. If the fitter didn’t fit me correctly I had the confidence to ask for the sizes I wanted not just the sizes they thought I needed. Ladies, only you’ll know what feels and looks right for you so trust your knowledge of your boobs.

Over time I have narrowed down that Freya full-coverage, unmolded, 30FF bras work best for me. I also like Fantasie in that style, although I need a 30G. I’ve learned not to be afraid to try different sizes because even within a single brand there can be a lot of variances.

The best thing we can do is educate ourselves about our bodies and our unique breasts. The more knowledge you have about your body, the more you will love you and be able to care for your curves. That’s a lesson I’ve learned.

Justina Luther is a lifetime author with a passion for people. Whether it’s her current work, a suspense titled Would You Have Believed Me? or her personal experience short story titled GED=OMG, which was published in Beginnings XIV, she puts her heart into every word she writes. Justina believes words can change the world. She is currently an author on the exciting new blog When Readers Write. To read more of her work, visit www.whenreaderswrite.com

14 comments:

  1. I do totally identify with this post.
    Having shallow breast can be difficult to fit, specially when it comes to choosing a molded style or a strapless. you appear to be somewhat smaller than you are because the major weight of your breast is on the sides and bottom.
    but I do agree that having shallow breast can be somewhat of a blessing.
    Bra fitting aside, Im talking about a medical ocurrence.
    I've been in medical treatment for about 6 months, and they placed a catheter port inside my chest (of course this is totally covered by my skin and breast tissue)
    and because I have shallow breast, and my breast tissue starts high in my chest, my port is totally cover by my tissue, this have spared me a great deal of pain while they´re pinching me with needles, and a great deal less of a risk of infection or necrosis because of that tissue.
    So I do agree, I feel like my shallow breasts are quite a blessing! with a lot of more reasons than the fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sonia, thank you so much for sharing this positive message. We're so often looking at what our bodies aren't and you have found the positive in what sounds like a very trying time. I hope you are making great progress and thank you again for reminding us to be grateful for our amazing bodies xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Claire, for letting me share my story on your wonderful blog.

    Best wishes,
    Justina
    www.justinaluther.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see from the comment above, sharing our stories is so important and yours has obviously resonated with lots of women. Thank you for your wonderful piece xx

      Delete
  3. For the past year after measuring myself and using the online bra calculators I have tried many different bras in many different styles and shapes and had several fittings at Bravissimo and Rigby & Peller each time I've been fitted in a different size and each time had different opinion if full cup, half cup, balcony or plunge would be best. Over the year I have brought many different bras in many different sizes never too sure what my shape is. As like you wrote that a friend thought she was bigger than you who was a C when I am braless my boobs don't look big at all. I read an article on here about shallow wide boobs and I realised that must be what I am as when I put a bra it pulls me in from the sides and amazingly I fill out an HH cup, I feel a lot more supportive with a bra on and cloths fit better. I was amazed that plunge and half-cup fit me better as there is less gaping in the top sides of the cups.

    After trying many different brands and styles I found Bravissimo plunges fit me best but are there any others that you could recommend, I did previously like Fantasie the Elodie and Melissa with the side supports that help push me inwards but they don't seem to fit me as well now. I read that Cleo by Panache might be good as Freya Gem?

    A year ago I had my first fitting and was told I was a 40DD in Fantasie but had many fitting since telling me that I were different sizes, I feel most comfortable with a 36HH which is tight but comfortable on the band, but the fitter thought it was too tight suggesting I go to a 38 band which I felt was too loose. Is it better to be tight but firm which I prefer or looser which would mean being on a tighter hook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad that you persevered with your bra fitting journey. Very few fitters take into account the importance of style to breast shape in terms of size and fit so you are right to stick to your guns about what you like in terms of fit. I would always advocate wearing a firmer band (and using an extender if necessary) as long as you feel comfortable and the band isn't breaking or bruising your skin. In terms of other styles to try I'd look at Charlotte by Parfait which is very shallow friendly. You can try Lucy by Cleo - lots of other Cleo styles will gape in the upper cup I think as they're quite full cups. It's worth trying Envy, Jasmine, Clara and Elsa by Panache. I don't know Curvy Kate very well but I know some of their cups are shallow friendly.

      You have obviously taken time to understand your bra fit so stick to your guns in the face of anyone trying to put you in a 40DD until you have the bras you feel right in! xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply am very grateful for your wonderful blog site which is so informative have learnt so much and it is a lot thanks to your words of wisdom that I am wearing the bras that I’m wearing today. It’s been a long journey have brought many different bras in many different sizes, styles and manufacturers spending a fortune on the way of bras that don’t fit as well as they seemed. But I do believe I am now wearing bras that fit, are very supportive, comfortable to wear.

      I was clueless when I started on my journey when I was told I was a DD it sounded so big, but I know now that DD isn't big at all as it depends on the band size. The 34dd that many claim to be is the same as a 44aa or a 26g. And for me the 36hh is the same as a 26l or a 46f.

      A fitter can see how a bra fits but only the person wearing it knows how it feels I am totally amazed that the 36 band feels so comfortable on, when I put on the 38 band it feels in comparison loose. The 36 band isn’t breaking or bruising the skin.

      I got the Charlotte by Parfaitt a few months ago as you said is very shallow friendly and gives incredible shape bringing my wide set bust very close, I got it in a 38gg which now feels loose. I also have the Panache Elsa in coral again in a 38gg when I first got it fitted well now again it feels loose. I did try the Envy but found it dig into my armpits. After trying many balcony and full cup I was suggested plunge and half cup and was amazed how well they fitted me and have brought the Bravissimo Check Mate, Panache Idina and Bravissimo Rococo Charm which all fit very well in a 36hh.

      I guess fitters are concerned that a bra feels comfortable,(the problem is if it feels too comfortable it will feel loose I a couple of weeks)is probably the reason why they opt to fit me in a 40DD but over a couple of weeks of wearing the couple I brought they felt loose and preferred the tighter 38f both times they were Fantasie bras and after a couple of months found myself in the same situation and after trying many different bras in many different styles and sizes was amazed that 36hh felt most comfortable.

      Delete
  4. Good job! Loved it - and I so identify

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great this post has resonated with so many people xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I feel truly blessed to have been able to share my story.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Justina for sharing your story it always amazes me when I am braless my breasts look so small and the hh cup bra looks so big but once I put it on I fill out the cups

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your wonderful blog have learnt so much about the different shapes which has been a real eye opener and from Justina's article. Being a man I'm not your typical customer but for a very long time I thought I might need a bra, but being completely clueless I thought I couldn't possible be bigger than an A, brought several bras in a AA size but they didn't fit. I decided to try an online bra calculator and was shocked with the sizing I got, when I rang up a bra store and told them my measurements they suggested I was a 40D but when the bras arrived they didn't fit which started me on a long journey over which tried many different bras in many different sizes and styles. It confused me that when I was braless I didn't look that big but when I put on a bra I filled out the cups but with some I had gapping in the top. But it was only when I read an article on your blog about wide set and shallow busts that I realised that a lot of my boobs are in my sides so its only when I put on a bra and that pushes me in from the sides that I realise how big I really am. Justina's article helped me realised that too and after trying many balcony bras that gave me gapping in the top of the cups I was recommended half cup and plunge and was amazed that they fitted me so well. I still don't know if I'm mad or crazy to wear a bra but they hold me in and are very supportive and comfortable to wear and no one bar me knows I'm wearing and before I felt I needed to go up a size with the shirts and tops I wore the smaller sizes don't feel as tight I always felt self-conscious wearing t-shirts but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Style is the make or break factor for so many people and it's not something we hear about enough. I'm glad that you have found the support and shape that works correctly for you. Feeling confident in your body is what we want for everybody xx

      Delete
  7. I can totally relate to Justina''s article.
    It was a long journey(years), but it has been so worth it!

    ReplyDelete