Monday, September 10, 2012

Smaller Bra Bands Are Better for Squidgy Torsos

A flesh indent caused by your bra band at your torso is completely normal

I'll say right off the bat that there is no way to be completely delicate in this article so let's lay it out on the table - we're talking about body fat. Fat can be a prickly word for some people but the reality is we've all got it and some of us have more around our torsos than others. If you carry weight around your mid-section then you might decide that you're a 'plus size' girl and discount yourself from wearing 28-38 bands and this could be your biggest mistake.

As you know at Butterfly Collection we use the +0 measurement technique as our base point for finding out your band size. For example, if you measure 34 around your ribcage then we recommend starting out with a 34 band. What may surprise you is that about 1/3 of our customers wear a bra band one, two or even three sizes smaller than their raw underbust measurement. What's even more interesting is that lots of these ladies carry extra weight around their mid-section.

Your band should be as snug as possible to give your bust the lift it deserves
Weight around your torso is spongy so if your bra band isn't tight enough it may just be bouncing around on your flesh and not getting close enough to your frame to keep your bra completely in place. It may sound as though it would hurt to squeeze into a bra band that is technically smaller than your body, however, the sponginess of the flesh around your ribs makes it ideal for wearing a supportive but breathable band.


Your best band fit depends so much on your body shape. If you compared 10 women with the same bra size they would differ greatly in height, body weight, physique and most flattering bra style. So many of us have fixed ideas in our heads about what bra sizes look like and in reality one bra size can be right for lots of different shapes of women. I have lots of customers who measure between 40 and 44 who wear a 36 or 38 band size. In a 40 band the bra simply isn't firm enough to lift the breasts at the front (which is after all what your band is doing).


How to tell if you need a smaller band
You can whip off your top right now (I take no responsibility if you flash a co-worker - use your discretion!) and your bra will tell you if it's the right band size or not. If the center part of your bra is lying flat between your breasts (no matter what body size, shape, type you are) then you're in the right band size. If there is any gap between your body and that center panel then you need a smaller band size. If you're concerned about trying a smaller band size I recommend investing in a pack of reusable, washable bra band extenders that gives you some extra wiggle room on a smaller band and peace of mind while you get used to your new bra fit.

Don't let your preconceptions about size keep you from finding your best bra fit. If you know you're not comfortable then consider trying a smaller band. xx

Extra Resource from XL Hourglass about bands for bigger bodies Click Here

18 comments:

  1. I am so happy about this post :D My most recent post was about how band fit can be different on a body with more fat, so I am glad to see it is considered by others as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post, I just added it as an extra resource to the bottom of this blog. Thanks for commenting xx

      Delete
  2. I like this...except for the bit about the centre gore being able to tell your band size! That's not always correct. I've been in bras where I literally could not get into a smaller band size - the clasps were inches away when pulled as tightly as possible - and the centre gore wasn't sitting flat. I could not get any combination of band and cup size to get that sucker to sit remotely close to my chest, even when I was nearly dead from my bra band cutting me up. Style does play a part in whether the centre gore will sit flat!

    Other than that, I think this is great. I have the opposite situation where I mostly need to size up because I have a very bony ribcage, but I've seen plenty of situations where women have had to wear a smaller bra band than they measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with all things bras nothing can be taken in isolation. Your band and cup size have to gel with your bra style which has to be right for your breast shape which has to work with your height. There are lots of factors but the most common tell tail sign I see is that the gore is nowhere near the body and the band offers no support.

      The most common issue I find when the gore simply won't lie flat but the band is tight is finding the right style for close-set breasts. I'll have to do a follow up on that one because it is a blessing and a curse! Thanks for always checking us out CK!! xx

      Delete
    2. Always my pleasure when your blogging is so very helpful :)

      Delete
    3. Have to agree on the gore thing, it can depend on the brand as well. For instance, Panache have very strong wires which snap to my torso even when the band is too loose and riding up. On the other hand, Freya have very weak wires which don't seem to sit flat on anyone once you get above an H cup or so. Aside from that, great post :)

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see a follow-up post on women with bony ribcages! I have no squidge to speak of (on my ribcage... albeit plenty elsewhere). I was puzzled when I first started to read about properly fitted bras, because my best bet for band sizes is +2 or +3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been meaning to do this post for a long time. There are lots of women for whom adding inches to their band size is necessary and it's rarely discussed. I have something in the works so check back again! xx

      Delete
    2. I agree - great post, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the "bony ribcage" side of things, too! x

      Delete
  4. This is so wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm watching your blog with keen interest. There is a gap in the market for 32-36 bands and firm support - not everyone can wear balconettes so where are the options? I'm hoping you find some gems! xx

      Delete
    2. Me too! I do love a good balconette, but not all balconettes are true balconettes. Struggles!

      I love your blog and love the perspective that you give - especially about mothers and daughters! :-)

      Delete
  5. I have a difficult time finding bras as I have such a small ribcage (32). I love Panache and Prima Donna though. I have a balconnet it a Panache style, and the gore is completely flat against my body. Almost to the point of digging in at the top of the wires in the very center. I've since gobbet used to it, and it amazing how comfortable it is to not have "them" touching! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I should have proof read that first.. Ha ha ha! I meant to say "since gotten used to"...

      Delete
    2. This made me giggle HP! You're right that a snug band is the key to stop your breasts bashing into each other. 32 is a great band size to have in the D-K world because so many styles come in this size. Not everything comes in a 28 or 30 band but it is getting better. Thanks for sharing your story xx

      Delete
  6. I have a bony ribcage, I guess I'm "skinny with breasts" (28F). However, I prefer to have a firm band! I love my 28 bands, I'm so comfortable with them that I would never dare to step into the 30/32 territory again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased to hear this! Small bands are necessary for so many different kinds of body shapes. Your band is the most important part of your bra so it's vital that it's snug so that it can support your breasts xx

      Delete
  7. I know this is an old post (God how much I miss your store!<3) Im working at a department store, and they adign me to lingerie, which in theory is not bad, I love lingerie, mu problem is that this store only carries 32 to 44 bands and a range of a to ddd (american) cups, whch leave in areat dilema while fitting (enough is to say that I dont follow their + 4 method, and some times I fell a great satisfaction in healping some costumers finding what they really needed Today I healped a costumer that was wearing a 38 c and she ended with a 36 DDD (it was not perfect (but she felt much better although a bit shocked about the 3 Ds, I think that she would be better fitted in a 34 FF (uk) I recomended her to look for a 34 with bigger cups next time if she felt ready (since the 3 Ds shocked her so much, I explained that letters don't mean anything, that they have a certain image in our heads, but that they dont mean anything about her) she felt much better with her bra on that she went back home happy with her purchase, I felt bad that I couldn't give her a great fit.
    Also yesterday I healped a 14 year old that actually needed a smaller band , but we dont have that in the store so I got her a 38 DDD and her center gore was not taped to her chest although her cups were perfectly full, and her wires where the perfect lenght, now I know why, she needed a 36 band with a bigger cups than a ddd. I refuse to sell a band bigger than 2 inches of what they need. Sometimes eaven in secret I tell the coatumers where to shop for bigger cups (cause Im not supposed to do that, Im trying to be the best fitter that I can be)
    Im also looking forward on taking a profesional course, I would like to have my own store some day

    ReplyDelete