Monday, February 20, 2012

Do You Shy Away From Lace Bras?


I am, and have always been, in love with lace. I remember the first time I went to Italy when I was 16, I saw a woman with flawless ebony hair, cream pencil skirt and black satin blouse that draped elegantly at the neck revealing the merest hint of a fragile black lace bra beneath. Perhaps because I was just coming into young womanhood, that image has stayed with me all my life as the epitome of sophistication. She was powerful, elegant and seductive - an amazing trio.

Since that time I have always owned at least one lace bra. I can't imagine opening my bra drawer and not seeing a delicate lacy bra with a pattern that feels as unique as a snowflake. Whenever I wear lace I feel more sophisticated, no matter what I put over the top.

Lace Isn't For Me
In North America there is a wide-spread perception that lace is too flimsy to support large breasts, it shows through clothing and it's scratchy and uncomfortable. Modern lace has come a long way since the Victorian looking fabrics. Modern lace can be so flat that it doesn't create lumps and bumps under your clothing and it's often mixed with elastane (like spandex) which gives it a soft, stretchy quality.

There has been a gradual erosion of style choice in many North American stores. A sea of molded cups greet you in lots of boutiques and department stores, and while a molded bra can be great it's not the only option in life. The natural shape of your breasts can be enhanced and celebrated in a lace bra and there's no need to compromise on support because inner slings and cup design can give you great support. 
Jasmine is a favourite design for its use of stretch-lace

Lots of styles combine the support and smoothing of one fabric with the breath-ability of lace. Stretch-lace is often used in the upper-cup section because it can improve fit for women with differently sized breasts. Jasmine is a great example of this kind of design.

Lace and Breast Health
Lace bras designs are usually 3 or 4 part cup designs which means there are seams. However, the seams are usually flat and as I've discussed elsewhere, they help to enhance your natural shape. Many molded cups can bisect your breast tissue at the armpit giving you displaced breast tissue. The soft but supportive nature of lace means that the tissue at your armpit is brought forward into the cup rather than being forced outside.

Idina is a great example of a stretch-lace bra that works really well for women wanting to retrain migrated breast tissue back into the cup. 

No matter whether you are a busy working Mom, professional or student, you can add a touch of lace to your lingerie collection and still have support and a beautiful shape. If you've been habitually wearing molded bras for a long time then maybe it's time to give something else a try. xx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for asking the question Butterfly. I cannot remember the last lace bra I wore and felt I was too old to wear one now.
    After reading your blog and the sumptuous description, I am now going to purchase a lace bra in readiness for a spring wedding I have been invited to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey!! That's fabulous! You're never too old to wear something as timelessly beautiful as lace. xx

    ReplyDelete